What is Periodontal disease?
The word periodontal means “around the tooth”. Periodontal disease attacks the gums and the bone that support the teeth. Plaque is a sticky film of food debris, bacteria, and saliva. If plaque is not removed, it turns into calculus (tartar). When plaque and calculus are not removed, they begin to destroy the gums and bone. Periodontal disease is characterized by red, swollen, and bleeding gums.
Four out of five people have periodontal disease and don’t know it! Most people are not aware of it because the disease is usually painless in the early stages.
Diseases That Can Lead To Periodontal disease
Not only is it the number one reason for tooth loss, research suggests that there may be a link between periodontal disease and other diseases such as, stroke, bacterial pneumonia, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and increased risk during pregnancy. Researchers are determining if inflammation and bacteria associated with periodontal disease affects these systemic diseases and conditions. Smoking also increases the risk of periodontal disease.
Periodontal Therapy in Port Orange
Good oral hygiene, a balanced diet, and regular Port Orange dentist visits can help reduce your risk of developing periodontal disease. If you are already diagnosed with periodontal disease let one of our Port Orange periodontist take care of you.
Signs and symptoms of Port Orange periodontal disease:
- Bleeding gums – Gums should never bleed, even when you brush vigorously or use dental floss.
- Loose teeth – Also caused by bone loss or weakened periodontal fibers (fibers that support the tooth to the bone).
- New spacing between teeth – Caused by bone loss.
- Persistent bad breath – Caused by bacteria in the mouth.
- Pus around the teeth and gums – Sign that there is an infection present.
- Receding gums – Loss of gum around a tooth.
- Red and puffy gums – Gums should never be red or swollen.
- Tenderness or Discomfort – Plaque, calculus, and bacteria irritate the gums and teeth.
No Cut, No Sew, No Fear
The simple phrase “gum surgery” can strike fear into anyone’s mind, however, with technology today, this is no longer the case. Envision Dental provides the No Cut, No Sew, No Fear protocol for treating gum disease from LANAP or Laser Assisted New Attachment Procedure
- Less pain
- Less bleeding
- Less sensitivity
- Less gum loss
- Less swelling
- Very little downtime after treatment
- Less Post-op infections
- Promotes regeneration of supporting gum tissues
- Healing is perceived to be faster and more comfortable than conventional surgery